Program & Project Management
Large, complex projects benefit from professional project management that uses proven tools and methodologies to manage cost, schedule and quality performance.
Maritime Management Consulting assists clients in developing an integrated approach to management of large projects. We assess technical and cross-program risk, document internal customers’ expectations, and map out supplier and subcontractor alternatives. A plan is developed to communicate the schedule, application of improved processes, facility and resource allocations, key decision points, reporting procedures, and organizational structures.
Maritime Management Consulting has provided Program and Project Management services including:
- Resource loading
- Status reporting
- Problem resolution
Client Work and Other Experience
- USN Cruiser Overhaul: Working for a ship repairer, MMC developed a planning method to support a zone-outfitting approach to overhaul and life cycle extension of a US Navy cruiser. A team of yard repair managers was trained in use of this system, and MMC facilitated development of detailed zone plans and work items from the Navy’s conventional ship system-based specifications.
- Drydocking and Refurbishment Management: Over a period of several years, MMC managed the in-yard drydocking and refurbishment of six cruise ships. The value of each project ranged from $5-20 million, and took place in yards in the United States and Europe. MMC put together a team consisting of consultants and client staff to utilize sophisticated project management tools during the ships’ work. MMC also assisted the client in selecting and then managing a cadre of international subcontractors who performed the work at the shipyards. Each of the six projects was completed on time (with no subsequent onboard work required after leaving the yards), under the budgeted price, and to the satisfaction of the ship owner. While resistant at first, the shipyards all agreed that the techniques used were useful to both the owner and the yards, and they recommended using MMC on subsequent cruise ship work.
- PMO Set-up: MMC provided program management assistance to two U.S. Class I railroads. In both cases, working with client teams, a focused planning methodology was put in place to structure process reengineering and organizational redesign activities. The result was greater control over the expenditure of millions of dollars, faster delivery of anticipated change benefits, and development of structured problem-solving capacity within the client organization.
- Software Implementation PMO: For a major US homebuilder, MMC was retained to create and manage a Program Management Office to ensure successful implementation of a major IT package acquisition in the new product development area. After several months, the PMO recommended the project be stopped, as the software in question could not meet the needs of the client’s business model. A change in direction was determined and implemented, and considerable client resources and time were saved.
- Software Implementation: For a European telecom supplier, MMC led the Program Management effort for a $120M software implementation effort. Duties included creating detailed workplans, coordinating activities with key vendors and contractors, and maintaining contact with client senor management. The program went from being in serious jeopardy to being under careful management; key client personnel stopped leaving; and client senior management began to focus on the critical issues necessary to integrate the system into their business.