top of page
Owners and operators of oil, chemical, or gas carriers often seek assistance in balancing capital costs with operating costs and environmental considerations.
Maritime Management Consulting works with both owners and operators on a global basis to serve the liquid bulk industry.
We have provide clients in the Tankers segment with:
- Design and construction cost and schedule estimates
- Ship valuations
- Market forecasts
- New ship concept development
- New ship procurement strategy
- Environmental protection and pollution response management
Client Work and Other Experience
- LNG Tanker Construction: MMC estimated the cost of design and construction for a series of large LNG carriers and barges applying new containment technology. These estimates applied conceptual designs prepared for the owner. Build strategies, master schedules and risk analyses were developed to support the cost estimates, applying best practices in Asian shipyards. Unique challenges for this project were analyzed in depth. Design and manufacturing suggestions were provided to improve producibility. Price sensitivity was provided for labor rates, productivity and exchange rates, and comparisons were made to historic LNG carrier prices and other ship types of similar size.
- Suezmax Tanker Construction: MMC prepared parametric cost estimates for a proposed Suezmax tanker design, alternative tank arrangements and a forebody replacement. Alternative single shaft and twin-screw engine room configurations were also assessed. Price sensitivity to labor rates and productivity was examined.
- Tanker Accident Investigation: Grounding of a VLCC in US waters resulted in a massive investigation into the events surrounding the accident. MMC assisted the ship owner’s attorneys during initial examination of the damage in drydock, and in developing a detailed timeline for events before, during and after the accident.
- Hi-Ballast Tanker: MMC assessed reported problems with conventional double hull tankers and developed a concept to improve ballast tank design. The design significantly reduces maintenance and repair costs and improves safety and efficiency of tanker operations. Work included analysis of technical and economic trade-offs, as well as life cycle cost implications.
bottom of page